Tuesday 2 October 2012

Split salad

Every now and then I fancy a salad or lunch - and I like my salads with loads of different textures and flavours - but it takes time to prepare and usually that puts me off as the mornings with a toddler to feed and get ready for child care is hectic enough. Also, having a salad sit in the fridge at work till lunch time usually means the lettuce is soggy. So this evening I decided to do some of the prep work before hand - and I managed to make the whole salad but without any risk of soggy bits and nothing to do in the morning. I started out just doing the dry stuff that the lettuce should handle sitting next to (bell pepper, spring onion, ham sliced & rolled - I think its good to make meals look nice). Then I put the hard boiled egg whole on top (I'll cut that before I eat it so I don't stink out the salad - or fridge - too much). Then I figured I'd prepare the other wet ingredients in a separate bowl so that they can be added later (tomatoes, cucumber and beetroot) as well as a dash of balsamic vinegar - that should flavour nicely overnight!

So we'll see how that works. It was just 20 minutes prep - easy enough to do the night before and saves some stress in the morning!


Next day update .... A success!! The lettuce was crisp, the tomato and cucumber beautifully marinated in the pickle juices and vinegar. Mmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post any helpful tips or suggestions